XD Forums banner

Here's Some Statistics

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  threetango 
Before I start, please be aware that I do NOT support any kind of magazine cap. It helps to look at things from both sides to see what kind of arguments you need to be prepared to refute. This is a devils advocate post, just for the sake of discussion. So please don't waste space flaming me as a gun grabber.

The only difference a 10 round magazine cap would make is the number of magazines the nutcase would have to carry to have the same number of rounds available. That has a couple different effects.

Conceivably, he could run out of pockets. The average number of shots fired was around 90 according to one poster, so let's use that as a basis.

To carry 90 rounds with him using 30 round mags, he would have 30 in the gun and 2 each 30 round magazines. So he would need 2 good size pockets. Any kind of cargo pants or a hunting vest would be enough to carry that and then some.

To carry the same 90 rounds using 10 round mags, he would have 10 in the gun and 8 each 10 round magazines. Carrying 8 spare magazines might be a little more difficult. Don't know whether you can fit 4 each 10 round magazines in one large pocket. He might need both the cargo pants and the vest. Or you might be able to fit 3 mags in each of 3 pockets. (That doesn't seem like a very strong argument, does it?)

Another effect is that with 10 round mags, the shooter is having to change mags a lot more frequently. Each mag change is a possible vulnerable moment when his gun is empty and he's busy thinking about something besides his targets. With 8 mag changes, he has 4 times as many vulnerable moments as with the 2 each 30 round mags. (That only matters if someone is able to take physical action against the shooter during those vulnerable moments. That would be a lot more likely if someone in the area was also armed!)

OK, guys, how would you refute those arguments?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.