Illegals at the backdoor, again!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pancho_Villa, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Well, possibly only one guy as we were prearing to leave on Wed. But more likely that there were more in the brush. I had just come in from putting food out for he dogs in the back and there was knocking at the back door. I just glanced out the dirty kitchen window and could see a figure there. Went to the front and told the wife to get her pistola and call the S.O. dispatch. I had an LC9 with me. Stupid dogs had not alerted cause they were out front. They had just come around to eat when the knocking had started. They started barking aand set off the inside dogs. I went out the front to get behing the dogs, but the person had left for the brush apparently. checked my sheds and the empty, in-laws house down the road and no one was around. Heared later that there had been another "bail out" in the area like last time.

Pretty much the same as last time back in the spring, but the dogs had alerted. Only that time it was 3 guys that appartead to be dressed in 'Nam era jungle camo and combat boots. Tought I was having a "Red Dawn" experience. They were making requests, and were told in English and Spanish to leave. They kept coming, so i showed them that I was armed. They left quickly then.

Seem like this activity has been increasing around here lately. Some blame it on the influx of Border/Valley people coming here to gamble at ehe numerous 8 Liner gambling establishments that have been alowed to open in the city. The City is collecting much needed revenue from the fees they are charging per machine. Just seems like the people most likely to come kill time at the gambling places are involved in some kinda trafficing of humans or other substances. There is already enough of that here as it is the first stop after the Checkpoint. That is the general public opinion heard through the grapevine. But due to the lack of both County and City revenues, It looks like the crap will only get worse.

2. havasu

havasu Banned

PV buddy, I'm worried for your safety. How about installing 24 hour trip wires or motion detectors, so you can lock and load well before they come knocking at your door?

3. RibEye

RibEye Steak Medium Rare

watch your six brother - i agree - trip wires - to air horns - or Claymores - but yeah ...

4. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Sounds like prudent measures would be a good idea.....

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Stay Frosty PV...it's only gonna get worse...guaranteed !!

6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Well, we have the dogs. They usually alert when it is quiet outside. If I am out on the riding mower or using a weed eater, chain saw, getting fed, etc, they are distracted. 3 labs and a pit. Had one lab die a couple of months ago.

Got motion lights set up front and back. O.K. at night, but kinda useless during daylight. Last 4 times I had visitors was daytime. They have not approached at night in a good while. Maybe cause of all the dogs we have now. Sometimes the dogs bark all night. But, it may just be javelinas coming in for water. Not much of that around right now.

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Hey guys,

I appreciate the concern. But it happens around the little ranchitos around here. Problem is that now there are alot of gang members and crminals coming through.

Other odd activity around too. See unknown vehicles parked on the little road coming in here. Have reported the suspicious activity to the S.O. Our little road is well known as a pick up location by LEOs. Just seems like more of them now.

Two weeks ago, wife and I were about a mile down the road, going to get burgers. A couple of guys in a hot rod Chevy truck came down the paved road to the end and stopped near our mailboxes. One got out and jumped the fence. Guy went in the brush and came out owith a a package. They turned around and left back to town. We followed, but not too close. Looked like some locals cause they turned into the "Eastside" barrio. Will be watching for them again, but it is about a mile down the road where the paved road starts.

in the last few years, only 2 people, maybe hat have reported carjackings by illegals. One lady about 2 miles from here reported an illegal just walked in her house and was using her phone to call for a ride cause their pick up guy had not showed up. She locks her door now.

Yeah, it's gonna get worse!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  8. SHOOTER13

Just make sure the wife knows how to use a gun for when you are not home. Have the gun(s) handy and don't go to the door without one. Your defense should be concentric, each layer in the perimeter offering something different.

Fences with beware of dog signs posted, natural barriers...lighted and unlighted motion sensors and trip wires...barking dogs in the front and back yards ( make them earn their room and board )...solid ( no glass window ) front and backdoor with peepholes...some indoor house lights left on all night ( front living room / back kitchen )...all doors and windows locked...and windows with air conditioners secured... will all provide incentive for the mules, junkies, and other miscreants to find somewhere else to visit or loiter.

9. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Sounds like a good plan. Wife has and can use a 20 ga. Winch. pump that is handy with #1 buck. However, she has degenerative joint disease. She is to the point of having to use a walker to get around. So, a handgun is a must. She keeps a Ruger MKII and extra mags by the bed all the time. She can use other handguns, but won't due to recoil. She also has 2 nasty ankle biters she keeeps around her all the time. And we usually have the daughter's Dobie here most of the time too, cause she can't take care of it. And I keep several pump 12s with heavy bird or buck depending on whether the yard vermin is 4 or 2 legged. A couple of hicap autos and long guns are handy also. Too much? Or am I just raranoid?

Recently replaced the old central unit ACs with 2 separate new ones. One for each part of he house. We had been running some window AC units to "help" the tired old ones. But that is now done and all windows are secure.

Bedroom is a whole 900 square foot dome type section of the house with 6" plus outer walls. It's the newer part. It was built to take some pretty stiff hurricane force winds and has proved itself during hurricanes Allen and Brett. The older part is another 1300 square feet of stanard home, but we hardly hang in there. It's for cooking, visitors, relatives, kids, etc. It has withstood the hurricanes, but not as well. Windows are not reinforced like the dome part. So everyone knows the plan is to head for the dome in emergencies. All the firepower is there now cause there is no one in the other part of the house.

Recently redid the back door on the old part to a solid core, steel door. No peephole yet. Front needs a whole new door also.

The mesquite brush, prickly pear cactus and heavy grass make a good natural barrier. However, there are 2 major pipeline clearcuts that cross this property. The clearcuts are what the illegals follow when they are dumped on the south side of he checkpoint. Still, I really need to get the mesquite back out again. It is a fire hazard with the current drought. Last time I had it bulldozed was in 2005. The pipeline guys clear their brush every few years, so the illegal "highway" is pretty clear for them to follow for 10 miles from the south where the checkpoint is. That doesn't help much at all.

A gun trading buddy of mine has started keeping a hicap rifle at his hunting camp now. His brother was there alone one day. The place is @ 10 miles SW of here and @ 5 mileswest of the checkpoint. His brother saw 3 guys with AKs walking their east fenceline which is about 50 yds fromt he camphouse. They were followed by @ 50 human mules with backpacks. He called it in and loncked himself in the camphouse. They see footprints here regularly along the fencelines, but that is the first time they had seen armed coyotes. Tjey have also added steel locking bars to the window and door frames now.

10. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

"Too much?"

No such thing as "too much" PV :cool:

11. SHOOTER13

Sounds like you got it nailed PV...just be safe !!