Loaded Magazine Springs

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by threetango, Dec 7, 2014.

1. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

2. RibEye

RibEye Steak Medium Rare

nice info ... ill need to check mine - or just go buy a revolver = P

Attached Files:

3. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Moderator

I change out the magazines on the guns I keep loaded on a monthly basis.

4. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

I would suggest people think about automobile valve springs. These springs are left compressed for sometimes long periods of time and are cycled MILLIONS of times in the life of an engine. Yet I hear no one talking about replacing these springs as part of scheduled maintenance.:confused:

My own experience is that I have 1911 Colt magazines that have been stored loaded since 1976. The only time they are unloaded is when I shoot at the range for practice and to load fresh ammo. To date these magazines have never failed to function correctly. Maybe it's just a "Colt" thing. ;)

Of course I would not suggest that anyone take this as the be all, end all about loaded magazines. Everyone should do whatever blows their skirt up.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Most metal springs manufactured today can be left depressed for decades with no ill effects reported or experienced...

Having said that...Mike is right, it is a good idea to check and swap out any springs that you count on to save your life !!

Not only mag springs...recoil springs too !!

CAVEAT EMPTOR...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  6. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

Mags that have been loaded for years may work every time and there is no clear concise answer.
    My choice is to rotate them out periodically (time being your choice) like suggested by the Beretta, Sig and Mec-Gar rep and to me it would pretty much eliminate failure when the mag is needed unless for some reason the spring is defective and in that case you're screwed anyway.

Here's the meat in the article above.

Using the spring (loading and unloading the magazine) frequently will cause it to wear out as well. But if you’re using it a lot, you’ll be able to tell when the spring starts to weaken because the rounds will be much easier to load, and the gun will eventually start experiencing malfunctions at the range. The spring should last tens of thousands of cycles before this occurs, but it will happen eventually. When it becomes apparent that the spring is “done”, either replace it, or replace the entire magazine.
    When left loaded to full capacity and not used, most magazines will very slowly lose some amount of spring tension over time. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to say with any certainty just how long it will take before the spring loses enough tension to start causing issues. Some springs may stay loaded for decades and still function, and others might wear out after a much shorter period of time. So just to be safe, the best practice is to rotate the magazines periodically. That’s where you unload your magazines and let them “rest” for a while, and switch to a second set of magazines to keep loaded for the next cycle.
    How often is “periodically”? That’s a great question. A gunsmith at Beretta (who claimed not to be speaking on behalf of the company) told us he rotates his personal carry magazines every two weeks. The customer service rep we spoke to from Sig said that once every six months would be sufficient. However David Cochol of Mec-Gar, the company that manufactures the factory magazines for Sig (as well as Ruger, S&W, CZ, and several others), gave us the answer that seemed most common; “We recommend following standard law enforcement practice and that’s to rotate magazines every 90 days.” He also suggested that rotation as a good opportunity to field strip, clean, and inspect the magazines to make sure there aren’t any other problems that could cause malfunctions. Polymer followers in particular seem to be a common failure point for magazines.

Magpul seems to have a good product.
    Actual shoot is about the 4:20 mark.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h970s3CN8pY[/ame]

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Been running Mec-Gar mags for decades...best mags on the market IMHO ( just ask any SIG, S&W, Ruger, etc owner )

Good stuff Mike...thanks !

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014