Loose Mag Release Button on XD Mod2

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by RevV, Jan 15, 2017.

1. RevV

RevV Member

Hello all. It's typical for a Mod 2 to have a very tight, hard-to-press mag release button, when the gun is brand new. My Mod 2 is now a year and half old, and the mag release has loosened up considerably. In fact, it's now so loose that I am asking other Mod 2 owners to comment on how loose their mag release buttons are. (I have never oiled the button.)

When there is no mag in the mag well, my mag release butting has no "play" in it, but when I insert into the mag well any of the 4 mags I have for it, and I push the mag into place, the mag release button gains some "play," a little freedom of motion. With a mag inserted, if I put my index finger on one side of the mag release button and my thumb on other side of the button, I can push the button up and down slightly, probably about 1/16 of an inch.

This wiggling does not release the mag. Significantly more pressure is required to depress the button to the point that actually releases the mag.

I had employees at Cabela's and at my local gun store feel the button. The employees in both stores said that wiggle like that is normal when the release button is ambidextrous. However, none of the employees at either store are true experts when it comes to the XD Mod 2.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: IS THIS AMOUT OF PLAY/WIGGLE ROOM WITH THE MAG RELEASE BUTTON NORMAL, OR DO I NEED TO SEND THIS GUN TO SPRINGFIELD FOR CHECK-UP / REPAIR?

Even if you do not have a Mod 2, but you do have "play" in the mag release button on any of your guns in the XD family, I'd like to know.

Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience on this topic.

2. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say if it doesn't interfere with the function it should be ok.
    Best thing to satisfy your mind would be to call Springfield Armory customer service- here.

Customer service representatives can take your call Monday through Friday 8:30 to 4:30 CST.
    US: 1-800-680-6866

They have been friendly and helpful every time I've called.

3. RevV

RevV Member

Thank you, threetango.

I suspect you are right, but peace of mind would be nice! I will call SA; thanks for providing the number. I have spoken with them before, but I did not have the number handy.

I hope some other people read this thread and say that their mag release button also has some play in it.

4. RevV

RevV Member

Called in for Inspection

I did an extensive internet search for information on loose mag release buttons on guns in the XD family.

Many comments state that loose mag release buttons are not unusual and are not something to worry about. A minority of comments said that it was uncommon and might require maintenance.

Wanting to err on the side of caution, I called Springfield today (thanks for the number, 3T); I described the issue to them, and they told me to send the gun in for inspection and possible repair.

Fed Ex has already emailed me a call tag, paid for by Springfield, a great company who makes great products and who stands behind their products!

5. RevV

RevV Member

Loose Mag Release: SA Fixed and Returned My XD

After I called and described my lose mag release, SA suggested that I send it to them for inspection. They paid the postage.

Including transit, SA had my Mod2 for just under 2 weeks. :)

The packing slip says they performed the following:
    "INSPECTED PISTOL"
    "REFIT MAG CATCH"
    "SAFETY CHECKED & TESTED."

After inspecting the pistol myself, I am delighted to say that the problem appears to be fixed!

The mags do seem to protrude out from the grip a slight bit more than I remember. That might be true, or it might be that in the time the Mod2 was away, I got used to the way the mags fit into my XDs.

Hopefully I can sneak out of the office for a long lunch one day this week and run a quick 100 rounds through her just to make sure she's feeding properly!

Thank you, SA!

Fellow XD fans, if you find that your mag release button gets very loose, I suggest you call SA and request an inspection.

6. Tee

Tee New Member

I noticed the exact same thing on my new XD Service Mod 2 chambered for 45ACP. I noticed that many have raised that question going back several years on several types of XD pistols. I also removed the mag and noticed the free play was gone. I imagine that your pistol, while having refitted the mag catch, might encounter the same thing again over time. Keep us informed if you re-experience the issue.

7. Tee

Tee New Member

Update: somehow I must have snapped the magazine in extra tight or something because the free play right now is totally gone and I have a fully loaded magazine with One in the Chamber. I think the magazine is better seated in the weapon now. One thing is for sure is that the free play is gone somehow and the magazine is fully loaded.