XD Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I wanted to take a little time to write something about my first XD-a mod 2 subcompact 9mm. I'm not new to handguns and what led me to this purchase was an interesting one. I actually had to eat a little crow from some of my colleagues. For years I carried a Glock 19 off duty. It never felt real comfortable in my hand but it always worked and I was very accurate with it. I never liked the 26 so I "settled" on the 19 and it served me well.
Over the years different models from different manufacturers caught my eye but never gave them more than a passing thought especially the XD. I actually scoffed at the XD for a while to be honest. I heard good things like "it points natural" and bad things like "striker retainer pin" and "no one uses it" (more on that later).

I was pretty convinced that I would never carry anything off duty other than a Glock 19. That all changed when I walked into a gun shop and actually handled a subcompact mod 2 9mm. I couldn't believe how well it fit my hand. I couldn't believe the magazine capacity for such a small package! Everything I heard about how much of a natural pointer the XD is turned out to be true. Just pointing it, the sights lined up. Upon field stripping it, I saw an attention to detail in manufacturing that blew me away. The work that went into the handgun was impressive. It was obvious that it was a much better built handgun when compared to my Glock. I wondered to myself why no large agency is using this handgun then I remembered something a firearms trainer told me when we recently switched to Glock-" Can you believe how cheap we got these things? The plastic non firing training handguns were actually more expensive than the guns we purchased, we got them for a steal!"

I ended up buying the XD Mod 2 and it has since become my off duty carry handgun. So far it's handled everything I can throw at it and it handles like a full size handgun. I'm a convert to Springfield's excellent handguns. I'm actually going to buy a spare or two down the road-something I never did before. Thanks for reading this long winded post from a former Glock snob. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
Good post and nice to see a convert from the Glock world.
We like pics too !

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
+1 on a great post! You and I are opposites. I'm a long time Springer and just picked up my first Glock. I couldn't get used to the more aggressive grip style of the XDs, so I ended up with the M&P Shield 9. I recently lost that to my just turned 21 son. The Glock 43 hands down feels better in my hand, more so even than the Shield.

Congrats on your Mod2 sir!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I too just ordered my 9mm Mod.2 on Friday. I did a ton of research prior. Talked with friends, read reviews, watched YouTube videos. But the most important research I did was go to a gun shop and hold the gun in my hand and pull the trigger. A big mistake I made when I bought my S&W Bodyguard and didn't hold it first.

I am fairly new to guns but have sure learned a lot in a short time mostly due to forums like this and the experts who hang out here. I lurked for a long time but with the Android app I finally broke my silence. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Welcome Scorpio, glad to have you with us. Please take a moment to post in the "Introductions" sub topic. There's others here that would like to welcome you as well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.