Discussion in 'Introductions' started by M1K3Y_D, Apr 9, 2013.

1. M1K3Y_D

M1K3Y_D Newbie

I'm brand new to gun ownership. So much so, I don't even own one yet. I'm interested in home protection for my family and also, concealed carry. I'm currently recovering from some pretty hefty back surgery so, while my core regains its strength, I'm soaking up as much info as I can. Any advice on safety practices, gun and accessory recommendations, etc. are welcomed and appreciated.

2. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the XDforum. There are many posts here that can help you decide what's best for your needs.
    Just look thru the different forum areas and use the search function for particulars and if you have a question post it up and someone will gladly try to help you.
    Again. glad you joined us !

3. wmruss

wmruss New Member

Welcome M1,,my first piece of advice would be read,,read,,read study videos and take a gun safety course. Most places offer all you need to know and learn. As far as a handgun you need to find what fits YOU and ur needs. I own and carry the SA-XD9 sub compact,,its a great all around gun and easy to shoot,,clean and carry. There are many good guns out there but none as great as a Springfield. Good luck in your search and like i said read,,read read. I also own other guns but its my first choice and only choice.

4. M1K3Y_D

M1K3Y_D Newbie

Thanks for the welcomes, and advice. As far as reading goes, I'm in the midst of a lot of downtime. So extensive reading is definitely n the agenda. It's all I did today. I've already learned 10 things I didn't know yesterday.

5. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

Welcome Mikey D, there is a LOT of knowledge AND wisdom , (they are NOT necessarily the same) in this forum!

6. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Welcome to the XD Forum !

7. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Welcome aboard M1. Enjoy your visits and don't be a stranger.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the XD Firearms Forum !!

9. M1K3Y_D

M1K3Y_D Newbie

So I got to try on an XDm .45acp 3.8 (just held it, aimed it, no firing.) felt great in my hands. I've got good sized meat hooks so, the larger grip was just fine. I also appreciate the extra safety aspect with the grip safety. My question is, if I use it as a dual purpose, (home defense and CC) should I go with the .45 or 9mm?

10. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Always a .45 when you care enough to send the very best!!!!

11. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

I also favor the 45 but as a new person to guns you should try to fire several different calibers to see how they feel to you.
    The 45 has some kick to it so be ready for that.

12. RibEye

RibEye Steak Medium Rare

welcome to the forum - mucho knowledge here cheers

t