Traveling through Cali with my XDM and/or XDS

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by XDMguy, Jul 16, 2013.

1. XDMguy

XDMguy New Member

Here's the thing, I live in Nebraska and am going on a road trip here in November and will be in Cali for about a week. I am wanting to bring either my XDM 40 or my XDS 9 but I worry that I'll be breaking their laws. I know about the mag law but I just am not sure if there is anything else I need to look out for.

2. havasu

havasu Banned

With or without a permit?

Without a permit, the best rule of thumb is to separate the ammunition from the weapon, place the weapon inside a locked trunk and the ammo in your glove box.

3. XDMguy

XDMguy New Member

I have a ccw permit for Nebraska which i know is not honored in Cali. I don't believe I can take the standard mags either even if just posing through.

4. Puffman

Puffman New Member

The magazine size is limited to ten rounds in California. I do not believe you can bring in a larger magazine unless you can limit the capacity to ten rounds somehow.

5. XDMguy

XDMguy New Member

Thanks for the link, the only thing I'm wondering now is that do I need to modify the mags if I'm not a resident and just going through?

6. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Take your XDs and the magazine issue will be a non event.

7. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

XDs 9mm mags 7+1 or 10+1, either way you're good like Callmaker stated.

8. GunJock

GunJock New Member

The XDs is the safer of the two. FYI I am a CA resident. There is NOTHING illegal about possessing normal capacity magazines here (read Hi-Cap). It is illegal to buy, sell, manufacture, import, etc... Let's not even get started with how ridiculous that is (LOL)

Without a valid permit, the only legal way is to transport the unloaded firearm in a locked case. If you did bring the XDm, lock the magazines in a separate locked case (LEO's cannot touch them without a warrant). You can even have a loaded magazine IN the same locked container, as long as it's NOT inserted into the gun.