XD Forums banner

Weapon light

9K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  EarnieShoes 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a light for my XDm .45 with the 4.5" barrel. I'm leaning towards the Streamlight TLR1S Weapon Light w/Strobe.
Does anyone have any experience with this light or any other recommendations? Thanks

#2 ·
I'm in the market for a light for my XDm .45 with the 4.5" barrel. I'm leaning towards the Streamlight TLR1S Weapon Light w/Strobe.
Does anyone have any experience with this light or any other recommendations? Thanks
I love Streamlight, and the TLR series are favorites of many. The strobe tends to tweak sometimes for me but other than that it works great.

´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶……..
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´¶¶……
´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶……….
´´´´´¶´´´´´¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶…………..
´´´´´¶´´´´´¶´´´¶¶´´´´´´¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´´´´¶´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´´´´´¶´´´¶´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶….
´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´¶¶….
´¶¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´¶¶…
´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´¶´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´¶´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶….
´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶´´´´´¶¶´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶…..
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶…….

#11 ·
I run the TLR-1s on my 1911 at work, and while I agree that the strobe function is a little goofy on a pistol mounted light, the light itself is fantastic. I will eventually plunk down the cash on an X300, but for $98 shipped from opticsplanet, I certainly don't feel "outgunned" so to speak running the TLR. Great light.

#12 ·
I understand there is a study that claims the strobe is not as disorienting as some believe.

I have two Insights; an X-2 for my subcompact, and an M-3 for the bigger guns.

#14 ·
I much prefer that the light not be attached. In a night time HD encounter I would hold the light out to my side at arms length so the light would be the target and not my gun and me. Just a few inches separation could be a lifesaver.

Reactions: JDT1776
#16 ·
I dont like lights on my HAND gun either. NOT that I dont like the idea, I just dont care for the look/bulk on a hand gun. In a true dark/night HD situation I would prefer a shotgun and my .45 on my hip. I do keep a flashlight as handy as a gun at night but I dont really need it. I have GREAT night vision.:D very lucky there !!

I also like to be able to point the light at something without pointing a gun in that direction.

#19 ·
Don't have the XDM compact, but here's a couple of pics of the Viridian C5L, mounted on my XDM 4.5 .45 ACP. You'd have to be the judge of how far it would extend forward of the trigger on yours. It's a good little unit, 100 Lumen light, and a nice green laser that stays zeroed pretty well, dual control buttons that are easy to use for all the functions. I don't have it mounted up now, using the XDM for daily carry & don't need the light on it for that.

#21 ·
Thank you sir... Sounds like a good quality setup. I will keep this one in the mix.

Much appreciated!
Your welcome, they have their good points & bad points. The green is much easier to see than the red. Crimson Trace is working on putting out green units but I'm not sure how far along they are. I consider the Viridians to be okay, but for the money they cost, I'd like to see some Mil-Spec features, maybe not waterproof depth tested, but drop in a puddle & pick up water proof. I don't know how many units out on the market now are water resistant/proof, but I have a hunch not many, or they would be banging their own drum & advertising it. THe best use I get out of mine is dry fire exercise. The little green dot don't lie. When you pull the trigger, & it stays on the bull without a jiggle, you feel pretty good. Most of the time it just tells you how many cups of coffee you shouldn't have drunk. They don't take rechargeable batteries either, so that's a point to consider.

Anyway, best of luck on your search, & let us in on what you figure out.

#23 ·
I just got an Aim flashlight off eBay today for my subcompact. Just BARELY fits. Makes a nice accessory for the nightstand but I wouldn't carry it that way. I checked it out in my backyard tonight and it illuminated the shed quite nicely about 200 ft away.
Pics ? How many lumens ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.