What are you guys using for dummy rounds?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by bluezee28, Mar 1, 2013.

1. bluezee28

bluezee28 New Member

What is everyone using for a dummy round for when you're done cleaning your gun and want to rest the firing pin without damaging it with a dry fire?

2. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

A-Zoom snap caps here.

3. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

4. JimA

JimA New Member

What kind of gun do you have that you can't dry fire after cleaning?
    I only use dummy rounds for malfunction drills.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  5. bluezee28

bluezee28 New Member

I have an XD. I was told that dry firing is bad for the gun especially the firing pin.

6. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

XDs manual page 11; "By practicing operations with snap caps.", "Trigger control (snap caps)"

They don't say not to dry fire without snap caps but it sounds like they think it's a good idea.

Ed

7. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Also going with the A-Zoom snap caps !!

8. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

Also have a couple of Traditions but prefer the A-Zoom.

[​IMG]

9. RibEye

RibEye Steak Medium Rare

is it me .. or boss man 3tango is pre PARED!!!!!:D

10. Grelker

Grelker New Member

Azoom for me also

11. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

A-Zoom here as well. And I make my own dummy rounds on my press when I want the exact OAL:)

12. JimA

JimA New Member

Dry firing after cleaning is not like doing hundreds of dry fires to learn the trigger. If you do that, maybe you should get snap caps. To dry fire after cleaning to release spring tension, you won't live long enough to damage anything.:)

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Do the Azooms seem to hold up with use for you guys?

I saw one report where the opinion was that they chipped and left fragments in the the gun.

Needing to get something, and just wondering...

14. yogiboobooranger

The manual suggests if you do extensive dry firing, use snap caps. However, you can just keep several roll pins on hand along with the correct punch, and replace the roll pin if it breaks, or at 5000 rounds, the same time as you replace the coil spring (factory recommended). Here are the roll pins:
    http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=35&categoryId=9
    For heavier duty pins, and are recommended for extensive dry fire, go here:
    http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=32&categoryId=4

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  15. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Fragments of what?:confused:

16. yogiboobooranger

I think he is referring to the paint that chips off. Mine do show some wear but not so much paint loss to cause problems inside the weapon.

17. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

Call Maker et al, I am a believer in following the safety recommendations as that is part of the reason I've survived this long. That is also the reason I join these kinds of forums, others experiences will help me not make some mistakes! I make enough on my own!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Maybe the guy is full of baloney, but here is why I asked:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV0XAAmpGeQ[/ame]

19. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

I have no idea what this person is doing when he dry fires. However, I use my A Zoom snap caps extensively and I have never seen the damage to the snap cap that he claims comes from simply dry firing.

Perhaps someone else can chime in and explain why he has these problems but for myself I am puzzled. I would find it hard to believe that a product could survive in today's marketplace if it was indeed as shoddy as this person would have people believe.

Remember Hawkeye, anyone can make a video and post it on the internet. That in itself by no means qualifies them as an expert in anything. The internet is full of self aggrandizing individuals who would represent themselves as "experts". Sadly some people have their own personal agendas that sometimes have little or no relation to reality.

Ed

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Exactly. That's why I asked here when several of you said you were using them. His rant had me looking for Traditions caps. I'll ask at the gun shop, but if folks here are doing well with Azoom, that means a lot...

I know a fellow XD owner would never steer me wrong! :eek:

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013