XD 40 sc opinions

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by CallMaker, Aug 9, 2013.

1. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Anybody have one and if so, how do you like it?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
  2. olllloJeepin

olllloJeepin New Member

I have two XDM's but didn't like the S/C, mainly due to my large hand, even with the mag extensions.

3. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Thanks jeepin. I don't think that would be a problem for my as I don't have very large flippers.

4. filmtex

filmtex New Member

I have an XD40SC and love it. I happen to have all three mags, a 9, a 10 and a 12 round magazine. I use it for my EDC with the 12 round magazine and carry the 9 round mag with me. It's a great shooter. Very reliable and fits my big hands just fine. Highly recommended.

5. olllloJeepin

olllloJeepin New Member

I Carry a .40 XDM 3.8, if I google it, it comes up as a s/c but it has a full 16 round capacity mag, and a full length grip much like the other XDM models. Any thoughts on that?

6. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Moderator

There's actually 2 versions of the 3.8". There's what I'm assuming you have with the full size grip (16 round capacity), and there's mine with the compact grip (11 round capacity flush). Check my avatar...

7. olllloJeepin

olllloJeepin New Member

Gotcha, I kinda figured that but wasn't sure if I was correct.

8. xdguy45

xdguy45 New Member

I have the xD40sc and absolutely love it. My EDC IWB XDsc

Sent from my iPhone using XD Forum

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

I've had one for a few years. If you have arthritis in your wrists, get the 9 mm if you plan on shooting it a lot. While manageable, the recoil of the .40 will wear on you after the first box of ammo.
    That said, it's a really excellent shooter. It's more accurate than anything that size deserves to be. It's never malfunctioned in any way that I would blame the gun. You do, however, need to be conscious of thumb placement or you may have instances when the slide doesn't lock back on an empty mag due to inadvertently pressing down on the slide release. I don't count those against the gun because they are a technique issue. I've not found any ammo it won't shoot, it even loves cast reloads. I've put a couple thousand cast bullets through it and I have yet to see any leading.
    It was my primary carry gun for a while.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  10. bowserb

bowserb New Member

The 3.8" barrel with full size (16round) grip is an excellent choice. My experience with the subcompact models is less encouraging. The subcompacts are a two finger grip, which is not enough, IMO, for the snappy .40 round. And the extended grips don't do it for me either. The SA X-tended mag I bought was wobbly and unreliable. I might have been able to get the reliability fixed, but the wobbliness was too unsettling, and without it the grip was just too short, although a Pearce mag bottom did help a bit. I finally sold that gun and now carry an XDM-45 4.5". If the XDM45 came in 3.8" with the full size grip, that would be my choice.

11. Hammer

Hammer New Member

Love mine. I tried other XD options and found it the best for carry. I also tried other brands. Being a little heavy I have to be creative with concealment during hot weather with extended mag however.
    Considering trying a cross-draw holster. My XD SC has the 3" barrel. Came with std and extended mag.

12. olllloJeepin

olllloJeepin New Member

I went from a 4.5 XDM to a 3.8 XDM, both .40 cal and have the same exact frame. So basically it wasn't much different then what i had before but shorter in length and a little lighter.

When I first shot it, everything was so familiar and seemed so much easier to acquire the target and take the shot. Almost felt like I drove a Cadillac to get my license and now I have a sports car. I'll just say that they have proven to me beyond a doubt why I should continue to stay with them.

Next purchase [​IMG]

13. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Moderator

I love the XDSC. Unlike bowserb, the short grip isn't an issue for me. I'm on the smaller side (5'8 165) with small hands so maybe that's the difference. My pinky finger just catches the flush magazine. Also, the extended round magazines haven't been a problem for me either, (again my smaller hand size might be a factor).

Honestly, I don't feel much if any difference between my XDSC and my XDm 3.8" Compact as far as felt recoil. My issue is with the difference between the two grip styles. It's taken me a long time to adjust to the aggressiveness of the XDm grip. Truthfully, I don't really like it. I'll probably let it go eventually, although I'll still be in the market for the XDs9 at some point soon.

Getting back to the felt recoil, the XD40SC is snappier than the XD9SC obviously. Even slightly more so than a EMP 40 in my opinion. Probably due to the EMP being all metal. But less so than a compact 45. My opinions are based on personally owned firearms:

XD9SC
    XD40SC
    XDm40C (probably won't keep this one)
    EMP 40 (I'll go to my grave with this one)
    Kimber Ultra Carry (probably let this one go also eventually)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  14. Hammer

Hammer New Member

Love mine! Not one problem since I bought it!

15. tango36

tango36 New Member

I have a xd9 sc and I love it I am on the larger size and use the extended grip magazine's 1000 rounds never had a malfunction. And I shoot rather aggressively. Just finished a stippling job.

Attached Files:

16. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

Welcome tango36, glad you joined us.

17. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

^^^^^^ Ditto!!!!!!!!!!

18. Hammer

Hammer New Member

After firing several types of firearms, I bought the XD subcompact 40 cal. with the 3". I've never looked back. I love it.
    I bought an extra extended magazine. I have the standard magazine, plus I also carry two extended 12 round magazines.
    Will probably purchase additional XDs for home defense.

19. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I carried a revolver for over twenty years, but saw the possible need for more capacity. I tried many auto loaders, and it came down to the M&P Compact 9MM and 40 cal, Kimber, Ruger (4 models) and the XD40SC. The XD40SC with a 12 mag won and I have carried it since 2008. Yes, I also still have the other six listed. :)